Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Busyness=Laziness?


I read something last week on C.J. Mahaney's blog that got me thinking about how I spend my time. It made me realize that you can be super busy, and still be guilty of laziness and be a big-time procrastinator.

Here's a quote C.J. shared from the article "Putting Off Procrastination" by Walter Henegar which I found myself relating to all too well:

“I procrastinate,” he writes. “I’ve been doing it most of my life. If a particular task is even remotely unpleasant, my first and persistent tendency is to put it off. It’s not that I’m lazy; I’m actually very busy. I just wait as long as possible to do the really hard stuff. I always pull it off in the end, but it regularly makes me miserable”

I've been slowly learning/realizing this since being married- because now my procrastinating to clean the bedroom, or open mail for example(2 things I really hate doing) don't just affect me, but they affect (and understandably frustrate) my husband. He can't understand why I never seem to get around to doing things that he's asked me to do and are important to him....and now I'm realizing that it's probably not because there aren't enough hours in the day, but because my time is so taken up with busyness... and while I'm getting lots of stuff done, I fail to prioritize my time and focus on what's really important!

Like relationships...like people. Jesus in the short time of his ministry on earth, accomplished all the Father laid out for him to do, and still had time for people. He told the disciples to "let the little children come". I pray that in the busy times ahead for our little family- the holidays upon us- with traveling, events to plan/attend, etc., Joe's finals and the end of the semester, getting ready to move into our new apartment and begin the adventure of parenthood- we will be more aware of laziness (even when disguised as busyness) and procrastination in our lives and instead have biblical priorities. Here are 3 really good points from C.J.'s post in closing-

* Busyness does not mean I am diligent
* Busyness does not mean I am faithful
* Busyness does not mean I am fruitful

"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil." - Ephesians 5:16

3 comments:

lizhoweth said...

I'm with you on this one, girl. I espcially like the last quote you shared from C.J.

Thanks!

Kelly said...

3rd that. I read this, too. And it was exactly what I have been doing. ouch. I am doing it right now. :)

Shan said...

yikes!! guilty...